Generic Hero BannerGeneric Hero Banner
Latest Market News

US stripper wells among first to face shutdown: Rystad

  • Spanish Market: Crude oil, Natural gas
  • 31/03/20

Small US onshore oil wells that produce as little as 10 b/d of output face the prospect of shut-ins from the current crude price drop, but any large-scale closures are still unlikely, consultancy Rystad Energy said today.

These low-volume wells, commonly known as stripper wells, account for about 1.2mn b/d, or a little over 10pc, of total US onshore output of about 10.5mn b/d last year.

At $20/bl WTI about 75pc of these marginal stripper wells are still able to cover their cash cost, according to Rystad, but the remaining 25pc, or about 300,000 b/d, are not. Given their size and output, these wells will be the first candidates for shut-in. If crude prices fall further, more will face closures as they are not able to cover their costs. Nymex WTI settled at $20.09/bl yesterday, at its lowest since February 2002.

Even so, shutting down the vast majority of these stripper wells is unlikely because the cost of permanently closing them would be higher than the losses the owners would incur in keeping them in production for a few years.

The cost to close ranges anywhere between $20,000-$40,000/well. Even if oil prices are $10/bl below the cash breakeven, a typical marginal well will lose around $600/month, or $7,200/year. Hence, the operator can keep these wells producing for about four years before the loss would match the cost of abandoning the well.

Rystad's analysis shows that historically most shut-ins of these wells have been for good, and they have rarely been reactivated when oil prices have recovered because of the high cost of restarting them and the loss of reservoir pressure that would occur with the closures.

More than half of marginal wells are operated by private operators, including private equity-backed players and hundreds of small independent producers and family-owned businesses, it said. But about 40pc of the output is controlled by publicly-traded independent operators, with nearly 340,000 b/d, and majors accounting for 160,000 b/d.

"Hence, stripper well supply may be less elastic and flexible than some people might think, and it might not be the source of supply that would help balance the market," Rystad's head of shale research Artem Abramov said.

More than 440,000 b/d of Permian oil, in Texas and New Mexico, presently comes from marginal wells, it said.

US energy investment bank Tudor Pickering Holt in a note today said while most public upstream operators have yet to detail their shut-in plans, a potential closure of a portion of their production looks imminent as storage fills up in coming months.


Related news posts

Argus illuminates the markets by putting a lens on the areas that matter most to you. The market news and commentary we publish reveals vital insights that enable you to make stronger, well-informed decisions. Explore a selection of news stories related to this one.

03/04/25

Crude, equity markets tumble on US tariffs

Crude, equity markets tumble on US tariffs

Houston, 3 April (Argus) — WTI and Brent crude futures were down by more than 7pc early Thursday as markets weigh the potential for large scale economic disruption from US President Donald Trump sweeping tariffs for a range of imports. Equity markets also fell sharply with the Nasdaq down by nearly 5pc and the S&P 500 down by about 4pc as of 10:30am ET. The US dollar was also falling, down by more than 2pc this morning. The front-month Nymex May WTI contract was trading at $66.47/bl, down by more than $5/bl as of 11:35am ET. ICE Brent was trading at $69.81/bl, also down by more than $5/bl. All foreign imports into the US will be subject to a minimum 10pc tax with levels as high as 34pc for China under Trump's sweeping tariff measure. Trump has exempted many energy and mineral products from the new tariffs, and much of the trade with Canada and Mexico appears to be remaining governed by the US Mexico Canada (USMCA) trade agreement. Oxford Economics said Thursday it is considering revising downward its 2025 global GDP growth estimate from 2.6pc to 2pc and 2026 growth may drop below 2pc. This is under the assumption that the Trump tariff's stick and are not rapidly negotiated to lower tariff levels. Latin American and Asian economies with exports to US are the most exposed to the GDP downgrades, Oxford said. Oxford also said that global recession will likely be avoided, despite the strains of the tariffs. Meanwhile, the EU is preparing countermeasures against the tariffs. European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen said the bloc is finalising a first package of countermeasures to previously-announced US tariffs on steel, preparing for further countermeasures and monitoring for any indirect effects US tariffs could have. China also promised to take unspecified countermeasures against the new US import tariffs, which will raise duties on its shipments to the country to over 50pc. By Eunice Bridges Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2025. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

Opec+ eight to speed up unwinding crude cuts from May


03/04/25
03/04/25

Opec+ eight to speed up unwinding crude cuts from May

Dubai, 3 April (Argus) — A core group of eight Opec+ crude producers in a surprise move today have sped up plans to gradually unwind some 2.2mn b/d of production cuts by upping output by 411,000 b/d in May. "In view of the continuing healthy market fundamentals and the positive market outlook… the eight participating countries will implement a production adjustment of 411,000 b/d equivalent to three monthly increments, in May 2025," said the group comprising Saudi Arabia, Russia, the UAE, Kuwait, Iraq, Algeria, Oman and Kazakhstan. The decision to increase output by 411,000 b/d in May will kick in with the start of the summer season in the northern hemisphere when oil demand typically picks up. But it also comes on the heels of the US announcing sweeping new global tariffs for a range of imports. Ice Brent crude futures were down by more than 6pc from the close on 2 April, at $70.15/bl at 13:04 GMT, after briefly dipping below $70/bl earlier today, following the two announcements. The administration of US president Donald Trump could welcome today's Opec+ decision. Trump had already made calls to the Opec group to "bring down the cost of oil" — something that could be achieved by raising output. The eight Opec+ countries last month decided to proceed with a plan to begin gradually unwinding some 2.2mn b/d of production cuts from April and over an 18-month period — pushing their combined output targets up by 137,000 b/d averaged on a monthly basis through September 2026. The monthly increases could end up being smaller as seven of the eight countries, excluding Algeria, have committed to compensating for past overproduction. The Opec+ group of eight today maintained that increases may be paused or reversed subject to evolving market conditions. "This flexibility will allow the group to continue to support oil market stability," it said, adding that the measure "will provide an opportunity for the participating countries to accelerate their compensation". But the group's commitment to voluntary production adjustments and compensation for overproduction has been shaky at best. Opec+ secondary sources pointed to overproduction from Saudi Arabia, Russia, the UAE, Kuwait, Iraq, Oman and Kazakhstan since the start of last year. The countries submitted new compensation plans to the Opec secretariat late last month. The implementation of the compensation cuts in the coming months has become essential for the group, in order to try and balance the planned gradual increases and ensure markets are not oversupplied. By Bachar Halabi Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2025. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

South Korea’s GS Energy seeks term LNG from 2028


03/04/25
03/04/25

South Korea’s GS Energy seeks term LNG from 2028

Singapore, 3 April (Argus) — South Korean private-sector firm GS Energy's subsidiary GS Energy Trading Singapore is seeking LNG deliveries starting from 1 January 2028, over a 5-15 year period. The first round of offers will be due on 25 April and the second to close on 1 August later this year. The firm has requested volumes of up to 0.81mn t/yr in 2028 and up to 0.97mn t/yr from 2029 onwards. This is equivalent to around 13-14 cargoes/yr in 2028 and about 16-17 cargoes/yr from 2029 onwards, assuming an average LNG cargo size of 60,000t. The cargoes will be delivered to the country's 10.8mn t/yr Boryeong terminal, which is owned by power producers SK E&S and GS Energy. The firm has also specified for offers to be linked to Brent or a hybrid of Brent and Henry Hub. South Korean utility Korea South-East Power in June 2024 also signed an agreement with TotalEnergies for a five-year term delivery of up to 500,000 t/yr of LNG to South Korea from 2027. Meanwhile, state-owned gas incumbent Kogas is expected to operate with a smaller pool of long-term LNG supplies from 2025, with the government granting it more flexibility in its procurement strategy. Long-term contracted supply volumes may typically be priced at a higher premium, and could be deemed as a small price for buyers to secure supply security, traders said. By Naomi Ong Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2025. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

Oil futures, stock markets fall on Trump tariffs


03/04/25
03/04/25

Oil futures, stock markets fall on Trump tariffs

Singapore, 3 April (Argus) — US president Donald Trump's announcement of sweeping new tariffs on all US imports has sparked an immediate sell-off in oil futures and stock markets. Crude oil futures fell by almost 3.5pc in Asian trading and some stock markets in the region fell by a similar amount, after Trump unveiled the new import tariffs on 2 April. All foreign imports into the US will be subject to a minimum 10pc tax, with levels as high as 34pc for China and 20pc for the EU, Trump said. But energy and some mineral products have been excluded from the new tariffs. Tariffs on Japan and South Korea, both major trading partners and long-standing US allies in Asia, have been set at 24pc and 25pc respectively. Indonesia, Vietnam, Taiwan and Thailand also face tariffs of more than 30pc. Tariffs on imports from China will be subject to a 54pc rate, after taking into account the 20pc tariffs imposed by Trump over the last two months. Some imports from China that are subject to pre-existing tariffs will face an even higher effective rate. The blanket 10pc tariffs will take effect on 5 April. Any additional country-specific rates will come into force on 9 April. Oil futures fell despite the exemption for energy products. The June Brent contract on the Ice exchange fell by as much as 3.2pc to a low of $72.52/bl in Asian trading, while May Nymex WTI dropped by 3.4pc to $69.27/bl. The prospect that the US tariffs could disrupt global trade and hit export-focused economies in Asia sent stock markets in Tokyo, Hong Kong and South Korea down by 2-3pc or more. US stock futures also fell sharply. By Kevin Foster Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2025. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

Australia’s gas leaders hit out at market intervention


02/04/25
02/04/25

Australia’s gas leaders hit out at market intervention

Sydney, 2 April (Argus) — Senior figures in Australia's upstream gas sector have hit out at plans for intervention in the heavily regulated industry, as debate continues on how to best address domestic supply shortfalls later this decade. The federal Coalition in March announced National Gas Plan including a 50-100 PJ/yr (1.34bn-2.68bn m³/yr) domestic reservation system aimed at forcing the three LNG exporters based in Queensland's Gladstone to direct more supply to the eastern states' market. But oversupplying the market to drive down prices would destroy the viability of smaller gas projects, Australian independent Beach Energy's chief executive Brett Woods said at a conference in Sydney on 1 April. The domestic-focused firm, which will export some LNG volumes via its Waitsia project in 2025, warns that such a move by the Peter Dutton-led opposition would reduce export incomes while harming Australia's international reputation. The volumes impacted by the policy could reach around 900,000-1.8mn t/yr. Expropriation of developed reserves is equivalent to breaking contracts with LNG buyers and with the foreign and local investors that the country needs for ongoing economic security, Woods said on 1 April. Domestic gas reservation systems put in place by the state governments of Western Australia (WA) and Queensland, designed to keep local markets well supplied, were "clearly supportable", Woods said, but only future supply should be subject to the regulations. LNG terminals, which represent about 70pc of eastern Australia's total gas consumption and shipped 24mn t in 2024 , should not be blamed for the failure of governments to expedite new supply and plan for Australia's gas future, head of Shell Australia Cecile Wake said in response to the Coalition's proposal. Shell's QGC business supplied 15pc of its volumes to the local grid, with the remainder shipped from its 8.5mn t/yr Queensland Curtis LNG project, Wake added. Canberra has moved to promote gas use as a transition fuel to firm renewable energy in line with its 2030 emissions reduction targets, but progress has been slow as reforming laws appear to be hampering development . The state governments, particularly in gas-poor Victoria and New South Wales (NSW), must recognise the need for locally-produced supply and streamline the approvals processes, especially environmental permits, executives said. But despite pleas for an end to years of interventionist policy — including the governing Labor party's measures to cap the price of domestic gas at A$12/GJ , Australia's fractured political environment and rising cost of living has sparked largely populist responses from its leaders. A so-called "hung" parliament is likely to result from the 3 May poll , with a variety of mainly left-leaning independents representing an anti-fossil fuel agenda expected to control the balance of power in Australia's parliament. LNG debate sharpens Debate on the causes of southern Australia's gas deficit has persisted, and the ironic outcome of underinvestment in gas supply could be LNG re-imports from Gladstone to NSW, Victoria and South Australia, making fracked coal-bed methane — liquefied in Queensland and regasified — a likely higher-emissions alternative to pipeline supply. Several developers are readying for this possibility , which is considered inevitable without action to increase supply in Victoria or NSW, increase winter storages or raise north-south pipeline capacity. Australian pipeline operator APA appears to have the most to lose out of the active firms in the gas sector. APA chief executive Adam Watson this week criticised plans for imports, because relying on LNG will set the price of domestic gas at a detrimental level, raise emissions and decrease reliability of supply, Watson said. The firm is planning to increase its eastern pipeline capacity by 25pc to bring new supplies from the Bass, Surat and Beetaloo basins to market. But investment certainty is needed or Australia will risk needing to subsidise coal-fired power for longer if sufficient gas is unavailable to back up wind and solar generators with peaking power, Watson said. By Tom Major Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2025. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

Generic Hero Banner

Business intelligence reports

Get concise, trustworthy and unbiased analysis of the latest trends and developments in oil and energy markets. These reports are specially created for decision makers who don’t have time to track markets day-by-day, minute-by-minute.

Learn more