Generic Hero BannerGeneric Hero Banner
Latest market news

IEA points to oil stocks in case of supply disruption

  • : Crude oil
  • 24/10/15

The world can draw on global oil stocks and rely on Opec+ spare production capacity in case of a supply disruption erupting from the conflict between Iran and Israel, the IEA said today.

In its latest Oil Market Report, the Paris-based watchdog said it was "ready to act if necessary." It said IEA public stocks alone stood at over 1.2bn bl in addition to 500mn bl held under industry obligations. The IEA also said non-member China held 1.1bn bl of crude stocks, enough to meet 75 days of domestic refinery runs.

The IEA co-ordinated two emergency stock releases in 2022 after Russia invaded Ukraine.

The world's reliance on stocks would become more pronounced if any supply disruption extended beyond Iran's oil industry to include flows through the Strait of Hormuz. This would threaten most Opec+ spare production capacity of more than 5mn b/d as members such as Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Kuwait and the UAE are highly reliant on the waterway to export their oil.

But as long as supply keeps flowing, the IEA said that the market faces a "sizeable surplus" next year. The agency's latest balances show a supply surplus of 1.11mn b/d in 2025, up by 50,000 b/d compared with its estimates last month. For this year, the agency now sees a slight surplus of 90,000 b/d, compared with a slight deficit last month. In the final quarter of this year, the IEA sees a surplus of around 200,000 b/d.

Concerns over the strength of oil demand have been rising in recent months, with the IEA once again trimming its oil consumption forecast for this year. The IEA cut its 2024 global oil demand growth forecast by another 40,000 b/d this month to 860,000 b/d, with China once again the main driver.

A slowdown in China's economy remains the key drag on oil consumption growth. The IEA sees China's oil demand this year increasing by 150,000 b/d compared with 180,000 b/d in its report last month. At the start of the year the agency was guiding for growth of 710,000 b/d from China. The IEA also downgraded its estimated growth from China for next year to 220,000 b/d from 260,000 b/d last month, despite the country's recently announced stimulus packages.

For next year, the agency sees oil demand growth slightly higher at 1mn b/d, up by 40,000 b/d from last month's report. But growth for both 2024 and 2025 is set to remain well below 2023's post-pandemic surge in growth of just under 2mn b/d.

On global supply, the IEA kept its growth estimate broadly unchanged at 660,000 b/d. But it expects global growth to be just above 2mn b/d next year even if all Opec+ cuts are maintained. Some members of Opec+ are due to start unwinding 2.2mn b/d of voluntary cuts starting in December — although this is dependent on market conditions.

The IEA said that the 500,000 b/d fall in Opec+ crude production in September — led by Libya — could make it easier for the alliance to implement its plan to raise output, although healthy non-Opec+ supply growth next year will remain a concern.

The agency said global observed oil stocks declined by 22.3mn bl in August, led by a 16.5mn bl draw on crude. It also said preliminary data showed stocks fell further in September.

Global oil supply/demand balance mn b/d

Related news posts

Argus illuminates the markets by putting a lens on the areas that matter most to you. The market news and commentary we publish reveals vital insights that enable you to make stronger, well-informed decisions. Explore a selection of news stories related to this one.

25/04/03

Crude, equity markets tumble on US tariffs

Crude, equity markets tumble on US tariffs

Houston, 3 April (Argus) — WTI and Brent crude futures were down by more than 7pc early Thursday as markets weigh the potential for large scale economic disruption from US President Donald Trump sweeping tariffs for a range of imports. Equity markets also fell sharply with the Nasdaq down by nearly 5pc and the S&P 500 down by about 4pc as of 10:30am ET. The US dollar was also falling, down by more than 2pc this morning. The front-month Nymex May WTI contract was trading at $66.47/bl, down by more than $5/bl as of 11:35am ET. ICE Brent was trading at $69.81/bl, also down by more than $5/bl. All foreign imports into the US will be subject to a minimum 10pc tax with levels as high as 34pc for China under Trump's sweeping tariff measure. Trump has exempted many energy and mineral products from the new tariffs, and much of the trade with Canada and Mexico appears to be remaining governed by the US Mexico Canada (USMCA) trade agreement. Oxford Economics said Thursday it is considering revising downward its 2025 global GDP growth estimate from 2.6pc to 2pc and 2026 growth may drop below 2pc. This is under the assumption that the Trump tariff's stick and are not rapidly negotiated to lower tariff levels. Latin American and Asian economies with exports to US are the most exposed to the GDP downgrades, Oxford said. Oxford also said that global recession will likely be avoided, despite the strains of the tariffs. Meanwhile, the EU is preparing countermeasures against the tariffs. European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen said the bloc is finalising a first package of countermeasures to previously-announced US tariffs on steel, preparing for further countermeasures and monitoring for any indirect effects US tariffs could have. China also promised to take unspecified countermeasures against the new US import tariffs, which will raise duties on its shipments to the country to over 50pc. By Eunice Bridges Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2025. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

Opec+ eight to speed up unwinding crude cuts from May


25/04/03
25/04/03

Opec+ eight to speed up unwinding crude cuts from May

Dubai, 3 April (Argus) — A core group of eight Opec+ crude producers in a surprise move today have sped up plans to gradually unwind some 2.2mn b/d of production cuts by upping output by 411,000 b/d in May. "In view of the continuing healthy market fundamentals and the positive market outlook… the eight participating countries will implement a production adjustment of 411,000 b/d equivalent to three monthly increments, in May 2025," said the group comprising Saudi Arabia, Russia, the UAE, Kuwait, Iraq, Algeria, Oman and Kazakhstan. The decision to increase output by 411,000 b/d in May will kick in with the start of the summer season in the northern hemisphere when oil demand typically picks up. But it also comes on the heels of the US announcing sweeping new global tariffs for a range of imports. Ice Brent crude futures were down by more than 6pc from the close on 2 April, at $70.15/bl at 13:04 GMT, after briefly dipping below $70/bl earlier today, following the two announcements. The administration of US president Donald Trump could welcome today's Opec+ decision. Trump had already made calls to the Opec group to "bring down the cost of oil" — something that could be achieved by raising output. The eight Opec+ countries last month decided to proceed with a plan to begin gradually unwinding some 2.2mn b/d of production cuts from April and over an 18-month period — pushing their combined output targets up by 137,000 b/d averaged on a monthly basis through September 2026. The monthly increases could end up being smaller as seven of the eight countries, excluding Algeria, have committed to compensating for past overproduction. The Opec+ group of eight today maintained that increases may be paused or reversed subject to evolving market conditions. "This flexibility will allow the group to continue to support oil market stability," it said, adding that the measure "will provide an opportunity for the participating countries to accelerate their compensation". But the group's commitment to voluntary production adjustments and compensation for overproduction has been shaky at best. Opec+ secondary sources pointed to overproduction from Saudi Arabia, Russia, the UAE, Kuwait, Iraq, Oman and Kazakhstan since the start of last year. The countries submitted new compensation plans to the Opec secretariat late last month. The implementation of the compensation cuts in the coming months has become essential for the group, in order to try and balance the planned gradual increases and ensure markets are not oversupplied. By Bachar Halabi Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2025. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

Oil futures, stock markets fall on Trump tariffs


25/04/03
25/04/03

Oil futures, stock markets fall on Trump tariffs

Singapore, 3 April (Argus) — US president Donald Trump's announcement of sweeping new tariffs on all US imports has sparked an immediate sell-off in oil futures and stock markets. Crude oil futures fell by almost 3.5pc in Asian trading and some stock markets in the region fell by a similar amount, after Trump unveiled the new import tariffs on 2 April. All foreign imports into the US will be subject to a minimum 10pc tax, with levels as high as 34pc for China and 20pc for the EU, Trump said. But energy and some mineral products have been excluded from the new tariffs. Tariffs on Japan and South Korea, both major trading partners and long-standing US allies in Asia, have been set at 24pc and 25pc respectively. Indonesia, Vietnam, Taiwan and Thailand also face tariffs of more than 30pc. Tariffs on imports from China will be subject to a 54pc rate, after taking into account the 20pc tariffs imposed by Trump over the last two months. Some imports from China that are subject to pre-existing tariffs will face an even higher effective rate. The blanket 10pc tariffs will take effect on 5 April. Any additional country-specific rates will come into force on 9 April. Oil futures fell despite the exemption for energy products. The June Brent contract on the Ice exchange fell by as much as 3.2pc to a low of $72.52/bl in Asian trading, while May Nymex WTI dropped by 3.4pc to $69.27/bl. The prospect that the US tariffs could disrupt global trade and hit export-focused economies in Asia sent stock markets in Tokyo, Hong Kong and South Korea down by 2-3pc or more. US stock futures also fell sharply. By Kevin Foster Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2025. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

Brazil’s Bauna oilfield restarts after maintenance


25/04/02
25/04/02

Brazil’s Bauna oilfield restarts after maintenance

Sydney, 2 April (Argus) — Brazil-focused Australian oil and gas company Karoon Energy has brought its Bauna oilfield in the offshore Santos basin back on line after the completion of intervention works at its SPS-88 well in February. Production resumed on 27 March after the project was shut down for maintenance on 7 March, Karoon said. The field's output has since reached about 26,500 b/d, above pre-shutdown levels because of the return of SPS-88 well production on 28 March. The well is pumping 2,000 b/d of oil on a restricted choke and is gradually being opened further, with rates in line with expectations. The intervention was originally planned for October-December 2024 after being taken off line in November 2023 because of a mechanical blockage in the gas lift valve. Karoon's plans to acquire the Cidade de Itajai floating production, storage and offloading (FPSO) unit at its Bauna oilfield have progressed, with the transaction on track to close as forecast in April. Selection of a new operations and maintenance contractor for the FPSO will be announced in mid-2025, with an updated cost guidance to be provided once terms are agreed. By Tom Major Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2025. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

Canada oil producers get 6pc 1Q lift on weaker currency


25/04/01
25/04/01

Canada oil producers get 6pc 1Q lift on weaker currency

Calgary, 1 April (Argus) — A depreciating Canadian dollar is giving oil sands producers an extra lift and complementing relatively strong domestic crude prices to help weather tariff concerns. The Canadian dollar, on average, was worth C$1.44 to one US dollar in January-March 2025, weakening from C$1.35 to the greenback in the same quarter 2024, according to the Bank of Canada. That represents a more than 6pc advantage to Canadian producers selling crude in US dollars who then turn those earnings around to pay workers and suppliers in local currency. The outright price for heavy sour Western Canadian Select (WCS) at Hardisty, Alberta, settled at $58.67/bl in the first quarter this year, according to Argus data. This is only $1/bl higher than the same period last year, but with the now weaker Canadian dollar, that converts to over C$84/bl for producers who would have seen that under C$78/bl in the first quarter 2024. The Canadian dollar, on average, was worth C$1.37 to the US dollar in 2024, weakening from C$1.35 to the greenback in 2023 and the weakest annual average since 2003. The Bank of Canada largely attributes the sliding Canadian dollar to a rising foreign exchange rate risk premium, which relates to holding currencies other than the US dollar. This premium rises with uncertainty that has been amplified by US president Donald Trump's tariff actions in recent months, and that has also weighed on currencies from other economies, hitting developing countries' currencies harder than those of advanced economies. Also keeping the US dollar elevated is the US Federal Reserve's recent caution about resuming its cycle of cutting interest rates, thus attracting relatively more investors to US Treasury bills and boosting demand for US dollars. Canada meanwhile has brought its target rate lower to try to get ahead of an anticipated economic slowdown. The Fed's Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) on 19 March held the federal funds rate unchanged at 4.25-4.50pc for a second consecutive meeting after cutting at the last three meetings of 2024. The Bank of Canada a week earlier lowered its overnight rate for the seventh consecutive time to 2.75pc. Giving a more obvious boost to Canadian producers in the first quarter this year compared with a year earlier have been the appreciating domestic crude prices relative to the US light sweet benchmark, which has weakened across the same period. WCS trades at a discount to the Nymex WTI calendar month average (CMA) and that gap has narrowed on the back of new export pipeline capacity out of Canada, added in May 2024. WCS traded at about $12.75/bl under the WTI CMA across the first quarter this year, compared with a $19.25/bl discount a year earlier. More recent trade activity shows WCS for April-delivery narrowing further yet to within $10/bl under the basis — the tightest since April 2021 — with oil sands producers temporarily shutting in some production to embark on major maintenance . By Brett Holmes Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2025. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

Generic Hero Banner

Business intelligence reports

Get concise, trustworthy and unbiased analysis of the latest trends and developments in oil and energy markets. These reports are specially created for decision makers who don’t have time to track markets day-by-day, minute-by-minute.

Learn more