Generic Hero BannerGeneric Hero Banner
Latest market news

Next US tariffs to take effect 'immediately'

  • : Crude oil, Metals, Natural gas
  • 25/04/01

President Donald Trump plans to announce a sweeping batch of tariffs on Wednesday afternoon that will take effect "immediately", the White House said today.

Trump will unveil his much anticipated tariff decision Wednesday at 4pm ET during a ceremony at the White House Rose Garden. While the administration has announced the effective date, there is little clarity on what goods will face tariffs at what rates and against which countries, leaving the government agencies that will be tasked with enforcing new tariffs largely in the dark.

"The president has a brilliant team of advisers who have been studying these issues for decades, and we are focused on restoring the golden age of America and making America a manufacturing superpower," the White House said today, brushing off criticism from economists, industry groups and investors.

Economic activity in the US manufacturing sector contracted in March as businesses braced for Trump's tariff threats.

Trump has previewed or announced multiple tariff actions since taking office. The barriers in place now include a 20pc tariff on all imports from China, in effect since 4 March, and a 25pc tax on all imported steel and aluminum, in effect since 12 March.

A 25pc tariff on all imported cars, trucks and auto parts, is scheduled to go into effect on 3 April, the White House confirmed today.

Trump and his advisers have previewed two possible courses of action for 2 April. Trump has suggested that all major US trading partners are likely to see a broad increase in tariffs in an effort to reduce the US trade deficit and to raise more revenue for the US federal budget.

But Trump separately has talked about the need for "reciprocal tariffs", contending that most foreign countries typically charge higher rates of tariffs on US exports than the US applies to imports from those countries. In that scenario, high tariffs become a negotiating tool to bring down alleged foreign barriers to US exports.

Treasury secretary Scott Bessent told Fox News on Monday night that the second course is the one Trump is more likely to take.

Trump will announce "reciprocal tariffs" and "everyone will have the opportunity to lower their tariffs, lower their non-tariff barriers, stop the currency manipulation" and "make the global trading system fair for American workers again", Bessent said.

But the White House insisted today that the new tariffs will not be a negotiating tool. Trump is "always up for a good negotiation, but he is very much focused on fixing the wrongs of the past and showing that American workers have a fair shake", the White House said.

Trump's words and actions already have drawn retaliatory tariffs from Canada and China, and the EU is preparing to implement its first batch of counter-tariffs in April.

Trump, for now, has deferred his tariff plans for imported Canadian and Mexican oil and other energy commodities. But the US oil and gas sector, which depends on pipelines and foreign-flagged vessels to transport its crude, natural gas, refined products and LNG, will feel the effects of tariffs on imported steel and proposed fees on Chinese-made and owned vessels calling at US ports.


Related news posts

Argus illuminates the markets by putting a lens on the areas that matter most to you. The market news and commentary we publish reveals vital insights that enable you to make stronger, well-informed decisions. Explore a selection of news stories related to this one.

25/04/04

US adds 228,000 jobs in March: BLS

US adds 228,000 jobs in March: BLS

Houston, 4 April (Argus) — The US added a more-than-expected 228,000 jobs in March, showing hiring was picking up last month just as the new US administration began mass federal firings and announced tariffs on trading partners. Economists surveyed by Trading Economics had forecast job gains of 135,000 for March. The unemployment rate ticked up to 4.2pc in March from 4.1pc the prior month, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reported today. Job gains in February were revised lower by 34,000 to 117,000 jobs. The unexpectedly strong job report comes amid mounting recession fears on the back of President Donald Trump's volley of trade tariffs unveiled this week and mass federal layoffs begun over the past month, which have yet to appear in the Labor surveys. US and global stocks have tumbled on the tariff news. As of 11am ET today, Fed funds futures markets are pricing in 43pc odds of a quarter point cut by the Federal Reserve at its next meeting in May and 100pc odds of at least a quarter point rate cut in June. Job gains averaged 159,000 over the 12 months prior to March. Federal government employment declined by 4,000 jobs in March following losses of 11,000 jobs in February. Employees on paid leave or receiving severance pay are counted as employed, the BLS said, so most of last month's announced federal job cuts do not show up in the data. Some federal job cuts have been reversed by court orders. Retail trade added 24,000 jobs, while transportation and warehousing added 23,000 jobs. Construction added 13,000 jobs and manufacturing added 1,000 jobs. Leisure and hospitality jobs grew by 43,000 and health care and social assistance added 78,000 jobs. Average hourly earnings rose by an annual 3.8pc, slowing from 4pc the prior month. By Bob Willis Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2025. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

IMF says tariffs a significant risk to growth: Update


25/04/04
25/04/04

IMF says tariffs a significant risk to growth: Update

Updates Brent price in paragraph 4, adds PVM comment in paragraphs 5-6, Morgan Stanley in paragraph 10 London, 4 April (Argus) — US import tariffs pose a "significant risk" to the global economy, according to the IMF. "We are still assessing the macroeconomic implications of the announced tariff measures, but they clearly represent a significant risk to the global outlook at a time of sluggish growth," IMF managing director Kristalina Georgieva said. "It is important to avoid steps that could further harm the world economy." The comments came after two days of turmoil on global oil and equities markets, sparked by the US imposition of sweeping tariffs on trade. For oil markets, this was compounded by a surprise decision from the Opec+ producer group to speed up the unwinding of its output cuts. Front-month Ice Brent crude futures prices fell earlier today to a 3.5 year low of $67.48/bl, down by more than 10pc since US President Donald Trump released details of the tariffs on 2 April. Analysts at brokerage PVM described the timing of this as "frankly amazing" and said it was "the icing to this global bearish cake". "The market is now reckoning on the cork being out of the production bottle and believes, as we do, that it will not be pushed back in," PVM said. US-based bank Goldman Sachs today said it has cut its oil demand growth estimate for this year to 600,000 b/d from 900,000 b/d, based on its economists' new view of economic growth. This and the extra production from Opec+ has led the bank, which was bullish on oil prices for a long time, to cut its Brent crude price forecasts for a second time in three weeks , by $5/bl to $66/bl this year. Goldman also removed a price range from its forecasts, "because price volatility is likely to stay elevated on higher recession risk." Like Goldman, UK-based bank Barclays said there is downside risk to its $74/bl forecast for Brent this year. It said oil demand is holding up, "but the potential effect of the trade war on demand is hard to ignore." Analysts at US-based bank Morgan Stanley said a recession is a realistic outcome of the tariffs decision, although not its base case. Modelled against previous recessions, the bank said there is a risk of oil demand growth falling to zero, compared with its forecast of 900,000 b/d for this year. On supply, it noted that an Opec quota increase "is not the same as an actual production increase", and said it would wait for additional clarity before reassessing its second-half 2025 Brent price forecast of $67.5/bl. By Ben Winkley Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2025. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

US tariffs a significant risk to global economy: IMF


25/04/04
25/04/04

US tariffs a significant risk to global economy: IMF

London, 4 April (Argus) — US import tariffs pose a "significant risk" to the global economy, according to the IMF. "We are still assessing the macroeconomic implications of the announced tariff measures, but they clearly represent a significant risk to the global outlook at a time of sluggish growth," IMF managing director Kristalina Georgieva said. "It is important to avoid steps that could further harm the world economy." The comment come after two days of turmoil on global oil and equities markets, sparked by the US imposition of sweeping tariffs on trade. For oil markets, this was compounded by a surprise decision from the Opec+ producer group to speed the unwinding of its output cuts. Front-month Ice Brent crude futures prices have fallen by more than 8pc since US president Donald Trump released details of the tariffs on 2 April, to trade near a three-year low below $69/bl. US-based bank Goldman Sachs on 4 April said it has cut its oil demand growth estimate for this year to 600,000 b/d from 900,000 b/d, based on its economists' new view of economic growth. This and the extra production from Opec+ has led the bank, which was bullish on oil prices for a long time, to cut its Brent crude price forecasts for a second time in three weeks , by $5/bl to $66/bl this year. Goldman also removed a price range from its forecasts, "because price volatility is likely to stay elevated on higher recession risk." Like Goldman, UK-based bank Barclays said there is downside risk to its $74/bl forecast for Brent this year. It said oil demand is holding up, "but the potential effect of the trade war on demand is hard to ignore." By Ben Winkley Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2025. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

Funding cuts could delay US river lock renovations


25/04/03
25/04/03

Funding cuts could delay US river lock renovations

Houston, 3 April (Argus) — The US Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) will have to choose between various lock reconstruction and waterway projects for its annual construction plan after its funding was cut earlier this year. Last year Congress allowed the Corps to use $800mn from unspent infrastructure funds for other waterways projects. But when Congress passed a continuing resolutions for this year's budget they effectively removed that $800mn from what was a $2.6bn annual budget for lock reconstruction and waterways projects. This means a construction plan that must be sent to Congress by 14 May can only include $1.8bn in spending. No specific projects were allocated funding by Congress, allowing the Corps the final say on what projects it pursues under the new budget. River industry trade group Waterways Council said its top priority is for the Corps to provide a combined $205mn for work at the Montgomery lock in Pennsylvania on the Ohio River and Chickamauga lock in Tennesee on the Tennessee River since they are the nearest to completion and could become more expensive if further delayed. There are seven active navigation construction projects expected to take precedent, including the following: the Chickamauga and Kentucky Locks on the Tennessee River; Locks 2-4 on the Monongahela River; the Three Rivers project on the Arkansas River; the LaGrange Lock and Lock 25 on the Illinois River; and the Montgomery Lock on the Ohio River. There are three other locks in Texas, Pennsylvania and Illinois that are in the active design phase (see map) . By Meghan Yoyotte Corps active construction projects 2025 Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2025. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

Mexico, Canada sidestep latest Trump tariffs: Update


25/04/03
25/04/03

Mexico, Canada sidestep latest Trump tariffs: Update

Adds Canada reaction Mexico City, 3 April (Argus) — US president Donald Trump's sweeping tariff measures largely spared Mexico and Canada from additional penalties, as the US-Mexico-Canada free trade agreement (USMCA) will continue to exempt most commerce, including Mexico's energy exports. According to Trump's tariff announcement on Wednesday , all foreign imports into the US will be subject to a minimum 10pc tax starting on 5 April, with levels as high as 34pc for China and 20pc for the EU. Mexico and Canada are the US' closest trading partners and have seen tariffs imposed and then postponed several times this year, but remained mostly exempt from Trump's "reciprocal" tariffs. Energy and "certain minerals that are not available in the US" imported from all other countries also will be exempt from the tariffs. Trump also did not reimpose punitive tariffs on energy and other imports from Canada and Mexico. All products covered by the USMCA, which include energy commodities, are exempt as well. Yet steel and aluminum, cars, trucks and auto parts from Mexico and Canada remain subject to separate tariffs. Steel and aluminum imports are subject to 25pc, in effect since 12 March. The 25pc tariff on all imported cars and trucks will go into effect on Thursday, whereas a 25pc tax on auto parts will go into effect on 3 May. Mexico's president Claudia Sheinbaum this morning emphasized the "good relationship" and "mutual respect" between Mexico and the US, which she said was key to Trump's decision to prioritize the USMCA over potential further tariffs on Mexican imports. "So far, we have managed to reach a relatively more privileged position when it comes to these tariffs," Sheinbaum said. "Many of our industries are now exempt from tariffs. We aim to reach a better position regarding steel, aluminum and auto parts exports, too." The Mexican peso strengthened by 1.5pc against the US dollar in the wake of the tariff announcement, to Ps19.96/$1 by late morning on Thursday from Ps20.25/$1 on Wednesday. Mexico has not placed any tariffs on imports from the US, which may have eliminated the need for the US to reciprocate with tariffs. "In contrast to what will apply to 185 global economies, Mexico remains exempt from reciprocal tariffs," Mexico's economy minister Marcelo Ebrard said. Mexico exported 500,000 b/d of crude to the US last year, making the US by far the most important export market for the nation's commodity. Mexico also imports the majority of its motor fuels and LPG from the US. If US won't lead, Canada will: Carney To the north, Canada's prime minister says the US' latest trade actions will "rupture" the global economy. "The global economy is fundamentally different today than it was yesterday," said prime minister Mark Carney on Thursday while announcing retaliatory tariffs on auto imports from the US. Canada is matching the US with 25pc tariffs on all vehicles imported from the US that are not compliant with the USMCA, referred to as CUSMA in Canada. But unlike the US tariffs, which took effect Thursday, Canada's will not include auto parts. Automaker Stellantis has informed Unifor Local 444 that it is shutting down the Windsor Assembly Plant in Ontario for two weeks starting on 7 April, with the primary driver being Trump's tariffs. The closure will affect 3,600 workers. Trump on 2 April unveiled a chart of dozens of countries the US is targeting with new tariffs, but that lengthy list may also represent opportunity for Canada and Mexico, who have already been dealing with US trade action. "The world is waking up today to a reality that Canada has been living with for months," Canadian Chamber of Commerce president Candace Laing said, a reality which Carney views as an opportunity for his country. "Canada is ready to take a leadership role in building a coalition of like-minded countries who share our values," said Carney. "If the United States no longer wants to lead, Canada will." By Cas Biekmann and Brett Holmes Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2025. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

Generic Hero Banner

Business intelligence reports

Get concise, trustworthy and unbiased analysis of the latest trends and developments in oil and energy markets. These reports are specially created for decision makers who don’t have time to track markets day-by-day, minute-by-minute.

Learn more