Generic Hero BannerGeneric Hero Banner
Latest market news

Curacao shortlists refinery operators, awaits PdV

  • Market: Crude oil, Oil products
  • 21/01/22

Curacao's state-owned RdK has shortlisted potential refinery operators on the eve of a visit by a delegation of the plant's former leaseholder, Venezuelan state-owned PdV, to discuss outstanding debt.

Binding offers for a new lease are due at the end of February, RdK said, adding more than 20 companies had expressed interest.

PdV operated the 335,000 b/d Isla refinery under a long-term lease that expired in December 2019. In the final years of the contract, the refinery operated sporadically because of a shortage of feedstock and services from Curacao's state-owned utility CRU. It has been offline for years. Normal runs rarely surpassed 220,000 b/d.

In an unaudited consolidated financial debt statement issued this week, PdV says it owes $2mn to RdK-owned Isla. The arrears are dwarfed by Venezuela's more than $150bn in unpaid debt, but for Caracas there is more at stake on the Dutch Caribbean island.

In a September 2021 Dutch appeals court ruling, RdK won the right to sell shares in PdV's Netherlands subsidiary Propernyn to cover $52mn in total unpaid debt, an action attached to ConocoPhillips' $10bn claim in the Dutch jurisdiction. Propernyn owns 15pc of European refiner Nynas and the inoperative 10mn bl Bopec terminal in Bonaire, both designed to handle Venezuelan crude.

The Curacao overture is another sign that Caracas is trying to get its financial house in order and initiate a debt restructuring to pressure the US to lift sanctions.

Curacao has not disclosed the names of the companies short-listed to restart and operate the Shell-built refinery. Previous efforts to replace its Venezuelan partner have failed, and former suitors include China's GZE, Germany's Klesch and a consortium led by Dutch contractor Corc.

Curacao, which lies 64km off Venezuela's coast, had been part of PdV's once-bustling near-shore logistical network that it has since lost, save for Bopec. The company's commercial withdrawal from the Caribbean was accelerated by years of creditor liens and US financial and oil sanctions. Through its deepwater terminal, offshore services and storage tanks, Curacao helped channel Venezuelan oil to longer-haul destinations.

Elsewhere in the Dutch Caribbean, PdV sought to refurbish a refinery in Aruba into a heavy crude upgrader, a project that derailed after the US-backed Venezuelan opposition took control of PdV's US refining arm Citgo in 2019. Aruba has now pivoted to gas with a project underway by US firm Eagle LNG.


Sharelinkedin-sharetwitter-sharefacebook-shareemail-share

Related news posts

Argus illuminates the markets by putting a lens on the areas that matter most to you. The market news and commentary we publish reveals vital insights that enable you to make stronger, well-informed decisions. Explore a selection of news stories related to this one.

News
04/04/25

WTI crude falls to 4-year low on escalating trade war

WTI crude falls to 4-year low on escalating trade war

Calgary, 4 April (Argus) — The US light sweet crude benchmark WTI fell by as much as 9pc this morning after China retaliated to the US' latest tariff action, while a selloff in global equity markets deepened. May Nymex WTI traded as low as $60.81/bl Friday morning, a more than $6/bl tumble from the settled price in the session before when it gave up $4.76/bl. Prompt month WTI has not been this low since 13 April 2021 when it settled at $60.18/bl. Prices across commodities and equities are down sharply after China on Friday said it will impose a 34pc tariff on all imports from the US from 10 April, a retaliation for new tariffs launched by US president Donald Trump on 2 April . China faces a 34pc import tariff from 9 April, on top of the 20pc tariffs Trump has imposed over the past two months. The prompt-month WTI contract has given up more than $10/bl, or 17pc, in the two days since Trump announced that dozens of countries would be subject to "reciprocal" tariffs, prompting serious concerns over lower global economic growth and a higher chance of a recession. The IMF say tariffs represent a "significant risk" to the global outlook while US-based bank Goldman Sachs said Friday it has cut its oil demand growth estimate for this year to 600,000 b/d from 900,000 b/d, based on its economists' new view of economic growth. Adding price pressure this week has also been the unexpected plans by eight Opec+ members to unwind production cuts faster , upping output in May by 411,000 b/d. Turmoil continued for the second-straight day in equity markets, with the S&P 500, Dow Jones Industrial Average and Nasdaq all down between 3-5pc so far. By Brett Holmes Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2025. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

Find out more
News

South Africa Natref to end bitumen production from Sep


04/04/25
News
04/04/25

South Africa Natref to end bitumen production from Sep

London, 4 April (Argus) — Bitumen production at Natref's 107,000 b/d Sasolburg refinery in South Africa will cease from September, ending all the country's output of the heavy oil product. Several South African bitumen market participants, including buyers from the refinery and suppliers of imported bitumen into the domestic and regional southern African markets, said officials from majority Natref shareholder Sasol had been informing customers of the planned move over the past week. Customers were told that final bitumen supply from stocks held at the refinery would be supplied to them into October, with all supplies ending thereafter. Market participants said the Natref plan is linked to a wider move of switching to sweeter crudes aimed at maximising output of light and middle distillates, which would also hit output of heavy products other than bitumen, notably high-sulphur fuel oil (HSFO). Officials at Sasol, which owns 63.3pc of Natref alongside UK energy firm Prax with 36.4pc, have so far not responded to Argus' requests for comment. South African market participant said the move had been under consideration for some time, even before Prax agreed to buy TotalEnergies' Natref stake in December 2023. South Africa turned from a major net exporter of bitumen, mainly to its southern African neighbours, to becoming increasingly dependent on imports after several of the country's refineries were either shut down or ended their bitumen production since 2020. South African cargo imports in bitumen tankers surged to nearly 200,000t in 2024, according to Vortexa data, mostly into Durban and some into Cape Town. Mediterranean supplies, mainly from Greece and Turkey, made up just over half of these, with Rubis and Continental supplying most. Mideast Gulf storage points, along with Bahraini state-owned Bapco's refinery and export terminal at Sitra, supplied around a third, while emerging exporter Pakistan shipped 8pc. According to a South African bitumen supplier, the Natref refinery's bitumen production fell last year to 45,000-50,000t — from an Argus estimate of 140,000t in 2023 — because of numerous plant halts and interruptions. The market effect of Natref ending its bitumen output will therefore be limited, with another leading South African participant saying truck flows from the inland refinery had become increasingly unreliable. The halt will nevertheless trigger more South African import requirements that are anyway likely to rise sharply in the coming years because of much-enhanced government infrastructure budgets. The Natref refinery was forced to stop all production for about two months following a fire in early January this year. French construction and bitumen supply firm Colas recently became the latest company to take a South African import asset position, agreeing a long-term deal with local firm FFS Refiners to operate four of five new bitumen tanks at an existing Durban facility once an FFS expansion there is completed, likely in the second half of this year. By Keyvan Hedvat and Fenella Rhodes Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2025. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

News

IMF says tariffs a significant risk to growth: Update


04/04/25
News
04/04/25

IMF says tariffs a significant risk to growth: Update

Updates Brent price in paragraph 4, adds PVM comment in paragraphs 5-6, Morgan Stanley in paragraph 10 London, 4 April (Argus) — US import tariffs pose a "significant risk" to the global economy, according to the IMF. "We are still assessing the macroeconomic implications of the announced tariff measures, but they clearly represent a significant risk to the global outlook at a time of sluggish growth," IMF managing director Kristalina Georgieva said. "It is important to avoid steps that could further harm the world economy." The comments came after two days of turmoil on global oil and equities markets, sparked by the US imposition of sweeping tariffs on trade. For oil markets, this was compounded by a surprise decision from the Opec+ producer group to speed up the unwinding of its output cuts. Front-month Ice Brent crude futures prices fell earlier today to a 3.5 year low of $67.48/bl, down by more than 10pc since US President Donald Trump released details of the tariffs on 2 April. Analysts at brokerage PVM described the timing of this as "frankly amazing" and said it was "the icing to this global bearish cake". "The market is now reckoning on the cork being out of the production bottle and believes, as we do, that it will not be pushed back in," PVM said. US-based bank Goldman Sachs today said it has cut its oil demand growth estimate for this year to 600,000 b/d from 900,000 b/d, based on its economists' new view of economic growth. This and the extra production from Opec+ has led the bank, which was bullish on oil prices for a long time, to cut its Brent crude price forecasts for a second time in three weeks , by $5/bl to $66/bl this year. Goldman also removed a price range from its forecasts, "because price volatility is likely to stay elevated on higher recession risk." Like Goldman, UK-based bank Barclays said there is downside risk to its $74/bl forecast for Brent this year. It said oil demand is holding up, "but the potential effect of the trade war on demand is hard to ignore." Analysts at US-based bank Morgan Stanley said a recession is a realistic outcome of the tariffs decision, although not its base case. Modelled against previous recessions, the bank said there is a risk of oil demand growth falling to zero, compared with its forecast of 900,000 b/d for this year. On supply, it noted that an Opec quota increase "is not the same as an actual production increase", and said it would wait for additional clarity before reassessing its second-half 2025 Brent price forecast of $67.5/bl. By Ben Winkley Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2025. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

News

US tariffs a significant risk to global economy: IMF


04/04/25
News
04/04/25

US tariffs a significant risk to global economy: IMF

London, 4 April (Argus) — US import tariffs pose a "significant risk" to the global economy, according to the IMF. "We are still assessing the macroeconomic implications of the announced tariff measures, but they clearly represent a significant risk to the global outlook at a time of sluggish growth," IMF managing director Kristalina Georgieva said. "It is important to avoid steps that could further harm the world economy." The comment come after two days of turmoil on global oil and equities markets, sparked by the US imposition of sweeping tariffs on trade. For oil markets, this was compounded by a surprise decision from the Opec+ producer group to speed the unwinding of its output cuts. Front-month Ice Brent crude futures prices have fallen by more than 8pc since US president Donald Trump released details of the tariffs on 2 April, to trade near a three-year low below $69/bl. US-based bank Goldman Sachs on 4 April said it has cut its oil demand growth estimate for this year to 600,000 b/d from 900,000 b/d, based on its economists' new view of economic growth. This and the extra production from Opec+ has led the bank, which was bullish on oil prices for a long time, to cut its Brent crude price forecasts for a second time in three weeks , by $5/bl to $66/bl this year. Goldman also removed a price range from its forecasts, "because price volatility is likely to stay elevated on higher recession risk." Like Goldman, UK-based bank Barclays said there is downside risk to its $74/bl forecast for Brent this year. It said oil demand is holding up, "but the potential effect of the trade war on demand is hard to ignore." By Ben Winkley Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2025. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

News

Funding cuts could delay US river lock renovations


03/04/25
News
03/04/25

Funding cuts could delay US river lock renovations

Houston, 3 April (Argus) — The US Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) will have to choose between various lock reconstruction and waterway projects for its annual construction plan after its funding was cut earlier this year. Last year Congress allowed the Corps to use $800mn from unspent infrastructure funds for other waterways projects. But when Congress passed a continuing resolutions for this year's budget they effectively removed that $800mn from what was a $2.6bn annual budget for lock reconstruction and waterways projects. This means a construction plan that must be sent to Congress by 14 May can only include $1.8bn in spending. No specific projects were allocated funding by Congress, allowing the Corps the final say on what projects it pursues under the new budget. River industry trade group Waterways Council said its top priority is for the Corps to provide a combined $205mn for work at the Montgomery lock in Pennsylvania on the Ohio River and Chickamauga lock in Tennesee on the Tennessee River since they are the nearest to completion and could become more expensive if further delayed. There are seven active navigation construction projects expected to take precedent, including the following: the Chickamauga and Kentucky Locks on the Tennessee River; Locks 2-4 on the Monongahela River; the Three Rivers project on the Arkansas River; the LaGrange Lock and Lock 25 on the Illinois River; and the Montgomery Lock on the Ohio River. There are three other locks in Texas, Pennsylvania and Illinois that are in the active design phase (see map) . By Meghan Yoyotte Corps active construction projects 2025 Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2025. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

Generic Hero Banner

Business intelligence reports

Get concise, trustworthy and unbiased analysis of the latest trends and developments in oil and energy markets. These reports are specially created for decision makers who don’t have time to track markets day-by-day, minute-by-minute.

Learn more